Friday, November 14, 2008

Lamb soup hand-pulled noodle 羊肉烩面

If you google 'hand-pulled noodle', you will see a lot different ways of pulling noodle. The one very popular in my home town is wide, flat, you only pull it once. I have not gone back to my home town for years, never thought I could reproduce this one :)

But never say never, now I can make it at home this delicious noodle soup. With the help of my bread machine, the kneading part became easy.

I experiment with different kinds flours, and bread flour is the best.

the dough:
2 cup of bread flour
2/3 cup of water --I don't like put the amount, different flour requires different amount water, so add water slowly.
1/2 tea spoon salt
1/2 tea spoon baking powder.

knead for 30 minutes ~ 1 hour. cover the dough, let it sit for 1 or 2 hours

knead and make it into small pieces like this: 5 mm thick, 25~40 mm long
brush some cooking oil on all sides.
use a chop stick to press vertically in the middle. ( this is for later spliting the noodle into two)



cover them, put in the fridge for at least 2 ~3 hours. I usually let it sit over night.

Prepare the soup base.

Costco lamb pieces with bones. put the lamb in the boiling hot water for one minutes, drain the water.

in a big pot, put lamb in the cold water. add big pieces green onion. I personally don't like putting so many chinese herb. If you like, you can add anything. Green onion helps to reduce some the unpleasant lamb smell (not sure if this is true:):)


boil the soup on high heat for 1 ~ 2 hours, reduce to medium to low heat for another 2 ~3 hours:) ---I don't wait, add enough water, watch a movie:)

add salt to taste

When it is time, get the dough out of the fridge, now magic happens:

pull the noodle really long. then split it from the middle. put in the hot boiling soup.






boil 5 minutes, add some mushroom (Auricularia auricula-judae ?) or some seaweed, or any vegitables you like.

serve in a big bowl. add some cilantro if you like



I have put the lamb pieces at the bottom. so it does not show in the picture. the lamb is soft and tender.

Enjoy. I have showed off this noodle to a few of my non Chinese friends, parents and kids all like it.

It looks complicated, but most of the time is just waiting time, you don't really have to do too much work. and it can be a party where everybody tries out to pull a piece

I don't think I can become as good as this guy ever :). We took this video last month while we were visiting Beijing:)

No comments: